Monday, January 9, 2017

Summer kitchen garden progress 2017


Hello! 
I've been trying to get my kitchen garden up and running again this Summer, I was a bit late planting things, due to an enormous clean up that had to happen first, but we had a cool Spring so things were slow to get going anyway. 
I'm happy to say that the things that I did manage to plant have grown really well! 

My boys wanted me to grow iceberg lettuce as it's their favourite variety.  I haven't had much success with this type of hearting lettuce before, but this year they have grown beautifully, and I have nice tight, heavy hearts of lettuce, the snails have done a bit of damage to the outer leaves but mostly they are fine. :) 


.......We have also had lots of snowpeas, which are my favourite vegie, I can eat them all day! .........


........ the tomatoes are starting to get bigger,  they are still very green, I think they are a bit behind because we haven't had a lot of warm weather yet, but they are starting to fill out now and there are plenty of flowers......


.......the Lebanese cucumbers are starting to come on too,  usually I plant these and they shrivel up and die, but not this year! Yay! ..............


...........along with the snowpeas I threw in a pack of sugar pea seeds, they are ready to eat now too, so sweet and crisp, much better than the shop ones. :) 

I have also got a few pumpkin vines on the go, some capsicums, spring onions, strawberries and blueberries.  I am a bit late with my climbing beans, but I think I'll still put some in and just have an Autumn crop.  The only flowers I've managed to plant are my dahlias, I'm hoping for a good show from them in Autumn, I have only just got them in the ground, but they are sending up nice healthy shoots! :)

So that's the kitchen garden in a nut shell at the moment, I think I'll do a monthly check in and see what is growing and happening in the garden through the season. 

Do you grow some of your own food? or lots of it?  Is gardening a hobby for you too? 

Have a great day!

xxxxxxxx

15 comments:

  1. it's really been hard to grow traditional foods here of late, as it's been way too warm & they either don't grow or bolt to seed
    your garden is looking great
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina, we have been lucky with a mild Summer so far, everything is a bit behind, but lots of things love the cooler Summer weather. :)

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks great. We plant pumpkins only because growing up without our help;) Last year we had a really large harvest. I love pumpkins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magda lena, I'm trying a few pumpkins this year too, they are not very big yet, but I am hopeful! :)

      Delete
  3. A very impressive looking garden. We do try to grow a few things but are from self sufficient it is a bit of a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mamasmercantile, the rest of my garden is a work in progress, still lots of weeding to do! It is a hobby for me too! xx

      Delete
  4. Great veggies.... Strang to see everything grow in your garden... meanwhile we have wintertime...brrrr....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annelein, I enjoy growing food plants, we are lucky here and can grow things all year round, our winters are comparatively mild. :)

      Delete
  5. Our soil is terrible, most of it clay so we garden in pots! Hard for us this past summer, we had a terrible drought and had to water a LOT!
    NOthing is better than fresh veggies from your own garden, nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay, we have had a really wet Spring here, so everything got a lot of water then and Summer has been quite cool, so it has been quite a good growing year for me. I'm always trying to improve our soil too, adding lots of stable manure and lucerne, my garden beds are quite built up after 15 years of gardening, they grow fabulous weeds too! :)

      Delete
  6. gorgeous!! everything is slow here this year too, i blame the lack of spring and all that rain. but NOTHING is more delicious and exciting than the first something of the season and all of yours looks delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I'm just getting back into it after a very slack 2016, lots of work to do to get things back in shape, but I'm enthused at the moment! Seeing your beautiful kitchen garden is so inspiring, I love seeing how your stuff is going! Have a great week! xxx

      Delete
  7. I think part of the reason I enjoy your garden posts so much is that your seasons are opposite to mine/ours and it's great to see summer unfurling while we're in grey and cold winter days here.
    Your veg looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely it is in its bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely to see veggies growing! I miss my garden every winter. Seed catalogs are thick upon the table here, dreaming of what to order and receiving seeds already too. We always have a garden usually a huge one, for we dry and can as much as possible, I love having my pantry full of homegrown food to pull from all winter long while the garden sleeps. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to add your comment, I love to receive comments and read them all, even if I don't get around to responding to you, I am just not that organised!